Colorado Gun Owners
DIY kydex holster - Printable Version

+- Colorado Gun Owners (http://www.cogunowners.com)
+-- Forum: Firearms Discussion. (http://www.cogunowners.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Gun Gear. (http://www.cogunowners.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: DIY kydex holster (/showthread.php?tid=675)

DIY kydex holster - speedbump - 10-30-2011

[Image: th_IWBholsterfront.jpg][Image: th_IWBholsterside.jpg]I couldn't find a holster for my Browning Hi-power that fit my budget so I ordered some kydex online and spent the spare time over one weekend making my own. Cost me maybe $13. I left some extra material here and there to adjust it later. I would like to have left more material covering the trigger guard but I think It will be more than adequate. What do you guys think?

RE: DIY kydex holster - AlanG - 10-30-2011

Looks pretty good! I like the idea of leaving excess material until you figure out exactly how you want it.

Just be sure to try re-holstering with the pistol unloaded several times, and in several different manners, angles, etc. to make sure the trigger doesn't hang up on anything (that and keep the safety on when re-holstering). There is a post about someone else here having an AD/ND (depending on your perspective) while re-holstering his firearm in a holster that was at least partially kydex.

RE: DIY kydex holster - speedbump - 10-30-2011

Absolutely. I have no intension of wearing it loaded until I am comfortable with it. I'm going to wear it around the house for several days with the gun unloaded, in and out of the car,etc. I like the adjustability of the kydex. Too tight or loose and just heat and squeeze.

RE: DIY kydex holster - speedbump - 11-02-2011

I'm now considering what to make out of the scraps. Mag pouch/flashlight holder, cleaning rod bore guide for my bolt action rifle, the stuff is just to handy and useful. I found it in lots of different colors to.

RE: DIY kydex holster - AlanG - 11-02-2011

(11-02-2011, 05:58 PM)speedbump Wrote: I'm now considering what to make out of the scraps. Mag pouch/flashlight holder, cleaning rod bore guide for my bolt action rifle, the stuff is just to handy and useful. I found it in lots of different colors to.

What source did you get it from? I've thought about playing around with some and making a mag pouch or two to start with.

RE: DIY kydex holster - stove - 11-02-2011

Mind sharing where you found the material and the process you used?

RE: DIY kydex holster - speedbump - 11-04-2011

i got the kydex from Knifekits.com and they also have the hardware/screws etc. I used a craftstore heatgun for shaping. Mask off the textured side of the kydex to prevent scratches and use a heavy towel or gloves to hold the shape while it cools. If you make any mistakes you just reheat it. Leave extra and trim down later. Use 180 or 220 grit sandpaper to smooth the edges. I used a dremel tool to do most of the rough outline cutting and sanding drums for shaping. You will be amazed how easy it really is. I have already started on a holster for my Commander. Also dont get the heat gun to close to the surface or it will melt the texturing.

RE: DIY kydex holster - speedbump - 11-04-2011

Something else that is helpful is to make a pattern out of cardboard. It folds like the kydex. Wet it a little where you want to bend.Then you can cut it to shape and fix mistakes with tape or whatever.

RE: DIY kydex holster - AlanG - 11-04-2011

(11-04-2011, 03:48 PM)speedbump Wrote: i got the kydex from Knifekits.com and they also have the hardware/screws etc. I used a craftstore heatgun for shaping. Mask off the textured side of the kydex to prevent scratches and use a heavy towel or gloves to hold the shape while it cools. If you make any mistakes you just reheat it. Leave extra and trim down later. Use 180 or 220 grit sandpaper to smooth the edges. I used a dremel tool to do most of the rough outline cutting and sanding drums for shaping. You will be amazed how easy it really is. I have already started on a holster for my Commander. Also dont get the heat gun to close to the surface or it will melt the texturing.

(11-04-2011, 06:36 PM)speedbump Wrote: Something else that is helpful is to make a pattern out of cardboard. It folds like the kydex. Wet it a little where you want to bend.Then you can cut it to shape and fix mistakes with tape or whatever.

Thanks for the info, I may have to give this a try!