Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Gun Owner- Why should I buy a gun? Why should I conceal carry
Hello everyone, 

I am new here. 

I am a 21 year old college student, colorado native. I am interested in purchasing my first firearm, likely a handgun, and also obtaining my concealed carry permit (and training). I would like to do this for a number of reasons: 1) I've always loved sport shooting, it's fun, and its in my blood 2) I would like to be able to protect myself and my family if necessary. 

I have encountered some scary situations in the past where I wish I would have had a firearm as things could have easily gone south, etc. I do a lot of outdoor activities in colorado, and I have met some sketchy characters out there. I have even been shot at before (confused hunter, no illicit intent). I also live in unincorporated Douglas county (shooting is legal on personal property) and my neighbor is a very, very sketchy drop out delinquent kind of guy who's always out shooting in his backyard and who has threatened everyone in my family at one point or another. DC sheriff takes 45 minutes to respond to my home. I would like to be able to protect my family from that guy should he ever snap.

Here's the deal. I go to college in washington D.C. (definitely not gun friendly) so I would have to leave my gun at home while at school, and when home I live with my parents. My mother is strongly against firearms, always has been, and despite the fact that I have been in several life or death situations where having a concealed firearm and proper training could have saved my life, she insists I'm safer not having a firearm. 

I am also a biomedical engineering student (I do a lot of work in emergency and trauma medicine), and considering a career as an airforce PJ once I graduate. I would like to purchase and practice using a number of firearms to meet the requirements of entry into that program should I decide to pursue it. 

My mother will not allow me to have a firearm under her roof, but I don't want to wait until I move out. I also really don't want to carry a gun and be a gun over if my mother doesn't approve- you know, every son wants their mom's approval.

What are you arguments for owning and carrying a firearm? What would you say to your mother if you were in this situation?

Thanks for you input 

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)