Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magazine Capacity/Mod Question
I am moving from Florida to Colorado, i.e. unregulated magazine capacity state to regulated. I have several firearms that have magazines say that are 20 round capacity. These mags are made of a polymer/plastic.

I was wondering if I was to fill the lower portion of a mag with epoxy, to prevent it holding any more than 15 rounds if that would be an issue. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Another question for the collective, if I only shoot on my own land should I be concerned about my 15+ mags?
Have you owned the magazines prior to July, 2013? If so, they're legal as far as I know. The law doesn't specify that they had to be owned in Colorado to apply to the grandfathering.

As to the core of the question, they have to be more or less permanently blocked, so not sure how epoxy would apply in this case. The usual method is to dimple the magazine body to prevent the follower from going too low.

Your second question - there's no exemption for the magazine law for private vs. public land. But you will see many 15+ magazines sold here as "kits" that you would then assemble yourself. And that's in bona fide FFL dealers. Deputies and cops even come in all the time to buy their own (admittedly, they are exempt), and they've watched civilians buy them frequently. Nobody really cares until a zealous DA manages to catch somebody on other charges, and wants to tack this on. In fact, I've only heard of even that happening once in Greeley.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center
Jack,

Thanks for your reply! I assumed many of the items you stated in your reply, but it is great to hear it from a local.

The idea of the epoxy is that it would fill the entire space below what would allow 15 rounds of capacity, essentially achieving the dimple effect but as a permanent and heavier solution. The magazines are made of plastic/polymer so dimpling in the case of a metal mag would not be feasible.

The kits as you mentioned are they pre 2013 or just an accepted solution since the person has to construct them. Does this remove the liability from the vendor while allowing access? Would these kit mags then become illegal if carried in public?

Thanks for support.

Keith
(07-09-2017, 06:26 PM)Whitey436 Wrote: The kits as you mentioned are they pre 2013 or just an accepted solution since the person has to construct them.  Does this remove the liability from the vendor while allowing access?  Would these kit mags then become illegal if carried in public?

Keith, 

The kits are usually sold one of two ways - as full "repair kits" that you can assemble yourself, or as two separate bags. For example, I have seen my local FFL sell 30-round magazine bodies, bottom plates in one bag, with the spring and follower in a separate bag (they are priced and sold independently). 

I can't speak to the legalities of it all - "will it hold up in court?". That's the purview of a lawyer. 

What I can say is that it would take a really zealous D.A. and LEOs to get to that part in the first place. All of the local LEOs that have seen how these are sold don't care. And that's not just a single FFL saying that - EVERY one I've been to has 30-round AR mags and AK mags sold as kits. Some stores don't even bother selling them in separate bags; they just disassemble them and throw them back into the original plastic bag and reseal it.
JackRock
Lakewood, CO
http://ryancash.co
Charter Member, Bristlecone Shooting Center