Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Designated shooting areas
Good evening all. My job just transferred me to Colorado from Arizona and I am having a bit of a struggle finding public lands to shoot on. I prefer to stay away from ranges. Was hoping someone might be able to help point me in the right direction. I live in Colorado Springs and am looking for a spot I can set up shop at bring the quads with and the BBQ and hang out for a day. Please if you know anywhere let me know.
(04-06-2018, 11:23 PM)Coltbrowning21 Wrote: Good evening all. My job just transferred me to Colorado from Arizona and I am having a bit of a struggle finding public lands to shoot on. I prefer to stay away from ranges. Was hoping someone might be able to help point me in the right direction. I live in Colorado Springs and am looking for a spot I can set up shop at bring the quads with and the BBQ and hang out for a day. Please if you know anywhere let me know.

I don't think you'll find ANY "in the wild" shooting places around COS! There USED to be places out on Mt. Herman Rd (hwy 320 West from Monument) up in the hills/National Forest (?), but they were closed a few years ago...partly (TMK) because shooters damaged the areas they shot at and also left huge amounts of trash. I forget the other reason the Forestry Service (?) closed Mt Herman to shooting.

I don't like gun ranges, either. Fortunately, here in far West Texas, there are LOTS of places to shoot -- out in the desert past the City Limits. Simple. 

I'm afraid you're stuck with gun ranges if you live in COS...
El Paso, TX
(formerly Colorado Springs CO and Galveston TX)